Those first couple of weeks at a new job until you get to know everyone can be daunting. You want to get along with all your fellow co-workers but aren’t sure what the office climate is. Here are some practical tips on how to fit in with your new co-workers at your new job.
- Go out of your way to be friendly with everyone you meet. Smile, say good morning and show an interest in their lives outside the office. Ask about their kids, pets and hobbies.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. It’s better to be clear about all your responsibilities from the beginning than to be corrected months after being on the job.
- You certainly don’t want to get the reputation as a negative person so don’t complain about your past boss, your past co-workers or even your new position and the people you work closely with. You never know who is friendly outside the office and your negative comments could easily get back to them.
- Until you get the feel for the rhythm of the office show up a bit early and don’t rush out the door at the end of the workday. Someone may just be keeping tabs on the hours you’re working.
- Listen to the office grapevine but don’t contribute. This is a good way to learn who you should avoid.
- Spend your lunch hour with your co-workers. There is no better way to form personal office relationships.
- Make sure to ask your superior who is authorized to give you work. Unfortunately, many co-workers will try to take advantage of a new employee.
- Don’t hesitate to take on any new projects as long as you are qualified to complete them.
- Most of all, come in everyday with a positive attitude. It’s understandable that things are going to be different from your last position but before you know it, your new company will feel like a second home.
For additional tips on how to fit in with your new co-workers at your new job please contact San Diego Pro Staffing today for assistance.